3rd Digital Printing Presses - The Next Era Conference
June 9-11, 2010
Radisson Resort Orlando - Celebration
Orlando (Kissimmee), Florida
Program Coverage & Schedule
|  11:00 a.m.||Conference Registration Starts
|  2:00 p.m.||Opening Session - The Evolving Printing Environment
Welcome and Introductions
Alvin G. Keene, President, Information Management Institute, Inc., Carrabassett Valley, Maine USA
DIGITAL PRESSES: WHAT ARE THEY NOW?
Marco Boer, Consultant, I.T. Strategies, Hanover, Massachusetts
- Digital Production Printer Markets: Current & Future
- Digital Presses Finally Get Fast
- How Ink Jet Has Driven Color Variable Data Printing
- Ink Jet has Opened the Gates to the Reality of High Volume Color
- Industrial Printing Applications: Opportunities & Challenges
2010 STATE OF THE COMMERCIAL HIGH SPEED CONTINUOUS FORM INK JET MARKET
Tom Baratz, Senior Industry Consultant, Lyra Consulting Group, Lyra Research, Inc., Newtonville, Massachusetts
- Commercial Ink Jet Continuous Form Printer Forecast
- Hardware, Ink & Media Projections & Growth Rates from 2009 & 2013
- Key Assumptions on Page Density, Usage Rates, Monthly Print Volumes & Applications
- Additional Components Required for OEM Customer Success
- Trends in Hardware, Ink & Media
- Usage Case Scenarios: Applications Descriptions of Public Customers of Kodak, HP, Oce & Others
- Negative Forces that will Detract from Print Volumes Required for Key Applications such as Books, Catalogues, Newspapers, Periodicals & Direct Mail
- Why We are Bullish on Commercial Continuous Form Ink Jet Printing
PRINT SUPPRESSION IN THE ENTERPRISE: TRENDS, INDICATORS & INSIGHTS INTO HOW CORPORATE AMERICA IS DRIVING DOWN PRINT USAGE & SHIFTING TO e-DELIVERY
Terry Frazier, Principal Analyst, Madison Advisors, Colleyville, Texas
- 2009 Print Suppression Market Study: Who, What, When, Where & How We Surveyed
- Business Drivers
- What is Driving the Move to e-Delivery?
- What is Driving Companies Away from Print?
- Strategic Goals
- How Far will Companies Go?
- What are their Medium- & Long- Term Goals for Reducing Print?
- Strategies & Tactics
- What is Corporate America Doing?
- How is it Different from the Past?
- What does it mean for Outsourcing, In-Plant Operations, etc.?
- Adoption Strategies
- What is Working & What Isn't in getting Customers Weaned Off Print?
- What are the Leverage Points where Print Still has an Advantage?
- Long-Term Outlook
- What do these Changes Mean?
- How do we Prepare?
- Where do we go From Here?
DIGITAL PRINTS - ARE THEY RECYCLABLE?
Axel Fischer, Head of Public Relations, INGEDE (Int'l Assoc of the Deinking Industry), Munich, Germany
- How Paper Recycling Works
- Why Some Prints Create Problems & Some Don't
- Differences between the U.S. & Europe - and What They Have in Common
- Test Methods: Deinking is the Key Process in Paper Recycling
- Toner, Solid Ink, Dyes & Pigments: How They Behave in Deinking
- Why Think about Recycling? Eco-Labels & Green Public Procurement
- Future of Ink Jet Inks - There is a Way
THE CHALLENGES OF OFFSET PRINT QUALITY
Ed Chrusciel, Marketing Director, FUJIFILM Dimatix, Inc., Santa Clara, California
- What is the Offset Target?
- How does Digital Printing Stack Up Today?
- Strengths & Weaknesses of Dimatix' Current Products
- How Hybrid Construction Works
- Fit with Single Pass Application Requirements: Screen & Flexo Printing Replacement, etc.
- Why Machined/Laminated Solutions can't Hit the Offset Quality Target
- Taking the Silcon MEMS Leap
- J2 Technology
- Printbar Concept
- Marking Systems & Qualified Ink Key to Success
- JetPress Status Update
- IPEX Show Review
- Print Samples
| 5:30 p.m. ||Networking Reception in Display Area
|  8:30 a.m.||Session 2 - The New Era of Printing
DIGITAL PRESSES BECOME OFFSET CLASS DEVICES
Donald R. Allred, Director, Business Development, Inkjet Printing Solutions, Graphic Communications Group, Eastman Kodak Company, Dayton, Ohio
- Moving Digital Presses from Niche to Mainstream Requires Capabilities Expected by Commercial Print Industry
- Key Metrics:
- Image Quality
- Total Cost of Ownership
- Enables Shorter Runs, Targeted Publications & Yet to be Discovered Opportunities
- Kodak is Helping Drive Change with
- Automated Internet Portals
- Digital Presses
- Kodak Digital Press Technologies
- Revolutionary Stream Inkjet Technology
- Nexpress Technology
- Commercial Printing Opportunities
DIGITAL PRINTING IS THE FUTURE
Fred DeBolt, Vice President Marketing Operations, United States Solutions Group, Xerox Corporation, Rochester, New York
- Digital Printing's Expanding Position in Printing Industry
- What's Required for Success in Digital Printing
- The Right Digital Printing Technology
- The Right Applications
- The Right Supporting Workflow
- The Right Business Model
- Latest Technology & Product Advancements
- Transaction Printing
- Color Technology
- Real World Success Stories
HP INKJET WEB PRESS TECHNOLOGIES
Dr. Ross R. Allen, Senior Technology Specialist, Printing and Technology Platforms, Hewlett Packard, St. Helena, California
- HP T300 Color Inkjet Web Press: 30 inch web, 400 ft/min, 4 colors, 1200 x 600 dpi
- Thermal Inkjet Printheads based on Scalable Printing Technology
- Press Applied Bonding Agent Allows High Quality Printing on Uncoated Offset Stock
- Key Design Feature: Reliable Pixel Printing with System Architecturre - Scalable in Web Width, Features & Performance
- Printheads, Printer Scalability, Inks & Media
INK JET COLOR PRINTING: PRACTICAL USES & PREDICTABLE PRICING
Guy Broadhurst, Vice President, New Products & Client Development, Oce North America, Boca Raton, Florida
- Opportunities & Applications
- Leading Applications
- The Opportunity for Digital Growth
- Secure Printing Applications
- Coverage Examples
- Common Samples
- Complex Pages
- When is a TCO Not a TCO?
- Common Misconceptions
- TCO Building Blocks
- Importance of Paper
- Cost of a Color Page Today
- Cost per Copy Comparisons
- Job Cost Calculator
- TCO Calculator
- Print Systems & Workflow Software
|  12:00 Noon
|  1:30 p.m.||Session 3 - The New Era of Printing (continued)
FROM MARKET TO ENGINE
Jurgen Devlieghere, Vice President Software and Hardware Development, Punch Graphix, Lier, Belgium
- How Print Engines & Toners Choices are made to Suit the Markets Served
- How Print Engines & Toners Choices are made to Address General Trends: Eco-Friendly, Energy Efficiency, Recyclability, etc.
- Technical Examples
- Xeikon 8000
- QA-P Toner for Document & Book Printing
- QA-I Toner for Packaging & Label Printing
INTEGRATED & HYBRID PRINT SOLUTIONS USING HIGH-SPEED MONOCHROME DIGITAL PRESSES
Herberto Pachon, President, Nipson America, Elk Grove Village, Illinois
- High Speed Monochrome Digital Press Market
- Integrated Print Solutions
- Digital Presses Combined with Pre- & Post-Processing and Software
- Complete Cost Effective Solutions
- Hybrid Print Solutions
- Digital Presses Running In-line with Traditional Printing Equipment (Offset & Flexographic Presses
- High Quality Color plus Variable Data Capability
- Print Customers' Expectations are Redefining Printing Marketplace as High-Speed Digital Presses Rival Traditional Press Print Quality, Speed & Reliability
THINKING BEYOND THE 13" X 19" PAPER SHEET - EXPANDING DIGITAL APPLICATIONS
Michael Abergel, Executive Vice President & Managing Director, MGI USA, Inc., Melbourne, Florida
- Meteror DP60 Pro Multi-Substrate Digital Press: Key Markets & Differentiators
- New Opportunities & High Profit Applications
- Plastics & Synthetic Substrates
- "Super" Format Applications: Book Covers, Quad-Fold Brochures & Other Apps Requiring up to 40"+
- Laser-Safe Prints on Digital? Yes You Can!
- Life with No Click Charge
- Customer Highlights
- Variable Data Printing & Other Traditional Digital Applications
- Finishing Opportunities
APPLICATION SPECIFIC DIGITAL PRESS USING KYOCERA KJ4 PRINTHEAD
Yuan (Charlie) Chang, Vice President of R&D, Amica Software, Irvine, California
- Ink Jet Printhead Technology Advancements
- Hardware & Software Requirements
- Compact & Cost Effective Press Design
- Commercial Printing Needs for A4 or A5
- Color Envelope Printing Case Study
SUPPLIER'S FORUM: 5-Minute Commercial Presentations related To Technology, Capabilities, Services, New Product Introductions, etc. The Suppliers' Forum is open to all Conference Registrants
| 6:00 p.m. ||Networking Reception
|  8:30 a.m.||Session 4 - The New Era of Industrial Printing
THE EXPANDING ROLE OF LARGE FORMAT DIGITAL PRESSES
Download the PDF version of this program
Dan Marx, Vice President - Markets & Technologies, Specialty Graphic Imaging Association (SGIA), Fairfax, Virginia
- Digital Presses: A Broad and/or Specific Term
- Digital Presses in the Specialty Imaging Industry
- Popular Wide Format Applications & Their Relative Growth
- New Applications Resulting from Flatbed & UV Curing Inks
- Ongoing Developments in Ink & Curing Technologies
- Trends & Statistics Relating to Wide Format Digital Printing
- Continued Expansion of High Production Inkjet Devices
- Printed Electronic s & Inkjet for Industrial Applications
INDUSTRIAL INKJET FOR PRODUCTION LINE PRINTING
Malcolm Burwell, General Manager U.S. Production Line Systems, Letchworth, Hertfordshire, UK
- The Evolution of Inkjet from Desktop to Demanding Manufacturing Envirionments
- Ink Jet Integration Requirements for Reliable Production Printing
- Inkjet Modules
- Inkjet : Helping to Revolutionize Manufacturing Processes for
- Ceramic Tile Decoration
- Textile Finishing & Printing
- Product Decoration
- The Inkjet Proposition: Benefits & Challenges for ProductionLines
- The Future of Inkjet for High Speed, Reliable Production
STRENGTHS OF UV-CURING INKJET PRINTING FOR PACKAGING APPLICATIONS
Marc Graindourze, Business Development Manager, MAT/Materials Business, Agfa-Gevaert NV, Mortsel, Belgium
- Agfa & Inkjet Printing - Especially for Packaging Applications
- Trends in Packaging Printing
- Packaging Printing Innovations at IPEX Show
- Strengths of UV-Curing Printing for Packaging
- Development of UV-Curable Packaging Inks
- Customized Inkjet Inks for Dedicated Packaging Applications
UNLOCKING THE FULL POTENTIAL OF PACKAGING
Simon Edwards, Vice President of Sales & Marketing, Tonejet Limited, Melbourn, Hertfordshire, UK
- What is the Market Looking For?
- What Could we Achieve with Packaging that we Cannot Today?
- Opening the Door to Product Differentiation: Packaging for the Modern Consumer
- Vision of the Future
- Leading the Revolution
FINISHING: HIGH MARGIN OPTIONS
Dr. Dene H. Taylor, President, SPF-Inc., New Hope, Pennsylvania
- Printer & Client both get Great Value from Finishing
- Finishing Processes are Becoming More Integrated with Printing: Sheeting & Covers through Binding to Packaging
- Overcoating Offers the Highest Value
- Vibrancy & Durability - Premium Magazine and Photograph
- Green Chemistry (UV & Aqueous Formulations)
- For All Digital Presses: Web, Sheet, Single-sided & Duplex
- Considerations of Operational Expectations
- Customer Base & Requirements
- Matching Capabilities with Available Systems
- Economic Justification & Projected ROI
- Application & Finished Product Examples
- Finishing Systems Examples
Digital Printing Presses 2010.pdf
Speaking Opportunities at IMI Conferences
If you have a potential topic for presentation at this or another IMI conference, please submit your proposed presentation topic and a brief outline to Al Keene at IMI (Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to +1-207-235-2226 for review.
IMI is always looking for potential speakers for upcoming conference programs and will be pleased to discuss your ideas for potential presentation topics.
Product Demonstrations - Free Displays
Product demonstrations/displays by both conference speakers and registrants are encouraged. IMI will cooperate with all interested parties to provide appropriate space so products can be displayed and demonstrated during the conference breaks and receptions. There is no charge in addition to the conference registration fee to have a display. Interested companies should contact Al Keene at IMI to ensure that proper arrangements are made for product displays and demonstrations.
WORLDWIDE PRINTER AND SUPPLIES MARKET REPORT
TO BE PROVIDED TO ALL CONFERENCE REGISTRANTS
Information Management Institute, Inc. is pleased to announce that it has commissioned I T Strategies of Hanover, Massachusetts to prepare a confidential study report entitled "Worldwide Printer and Supplies Market Report" for distribution to all registrants to IMI's programs.
This exclusive market report is updated on an ongoing basis and provides a source of market information based on a consistent methodology and reporting structure. The report authors, I T Strategies, generate this report from their worldwide model of the printer industry.
All registrants to the 3rd Digital Printing Presses - The Next Era Conference on June 9-11, 2010 at the Radisson Orlando Resort - Celebration will receive a complimentary copy of the latest edition of the "Worldwide Printer and Supplies Market Report."
Information Management Institute
Information Management Institute, Inc. is a leading worldwide sponsor of conferences designed to assist the digital printing industry in understanding technology developments, markets and applications requirements. IMI conferences offer a unique opportunity for leading hardware, consumables, software and user companies representatives to network and develop a more comprehensive understanding of current as well as future developments in the digital printing industry. Since 1990, IMI has held over 400 programs and each year over 2,000 technical, marketing and management personnel from over 600 companies worldwide attend IMI programs.
IMI conference programs are designed to enable attendees to obtain the latest technical, market and application information while allowing time to network with other attendees in a time and cost efficient manner. Attendance at an IMI conference enables attendees to meet with the digital printing industry's leading experts in a single location over a short period of time thus maximizing information transfer efficiency and minimizing travel and time expenses.
For further details, contact Information Management Institute:
Information Management Institute, Inc.
1106 Valley Crossing
Carrabassett Valley, ME 04947
Web Site: www.imiconf.com
PAST CONFERENCE BINDER & CD-ROM
- The binder and CD-ROM for this completed program, containing handout materials from all speakers; handout materials from nine companies giving Suppliers' Forum presentations; the I.T. Strategies Worldwide Printer & Suppliers Market Report plus a registration list with names, addresses, phone numbers and emails may be purchased for:
- $300 US including shipping by Federal Express
Note: $50 Shipping Fee automatically added to non-US, Completed Program Binder orders only. Appears as $50 Shipping charge in the Shopping Cart
Contact IMI by email (email@example.com) to place your order or call (207) 235-2225.
Return to Information Management Institute Master Schedule